I’ve reviewed the 2011 Call Letter from CMS and here are some of the important highlights which agents need to be aware of. Here is a link to the Call Letter if you’d like to view the entire document. I’ll refer to the pages. The Actual text of the call letter begins on page 53.
- Reallocation of “Choosing” auto-assigns for Part D. CMS was considering reassigning Medicare Beneficiaries with Low Income Subsidy (LIS) who chose a plan which was over the LIS benchmark by some amount (like $10.00 per month). CMS decided against that, although they will consider it in future years. (See page 60)
- Important Dates:
- April 5th – Call Letter Released and Final MA Payment Rates issued (Page 61).
- May 3rd – CMS asks MA and PDP sponsors to notify them of voluntary plan terminations (whether this is for an entire product or for a service area reduction. (Page 62)
- June 7th – Bids for 2011 plan year are due. Deadline for notifying CMS of voluntary plan terminations, although most plans will have notified CMS on or around May 3rd. (Page 63)
- Late June/Early July – Plans file 2011 Broker Compensation. (Page 64)
- Late August/Early September – CMS finalizes approval for 2011 bids. (Page 65)
- October 1st – Plans can begin Marketing for 2011 plans (Page 66)
- October 2nd – Non-Renewed members should get their notice of termination (Page 67)
- Mid to Late October – CMS mails Medicare and You for 2011. (Page 67)
- October 31st – Members should receive their Annual Notice of Change Letters (ANOC). (Page 68)
- November 15th – Annual Coordinated Enrollment Period begins for 2011 (Page 69)
- December 31st – Annual Coordinated Enrollment Period ends for 2011 (Page 69)
- January 1st, 2011 – Open DISENROLLMENT Period (ODP) begins. This allows Medicare Beneficiaries to disenroll from an MA plan (return to Original Medicare) or disenroll from a MAPD plan (return to Original Medicare and enroll in a PDP). (Page 70)
- February 15th, 2011 – ODP ends and members are “locked in” (page 70)
- Medicare Enrollment Assistance Pilot Program – This was scrapped for 2011. (page 72)
From the agent’s perspective, not much else of compelling interest. Feel free to read the letter and provide any additional comments below!!